The 2022 Taiwan European Film Festival (TEFF) takes place between 17 November 2022 to 31 January 2023, and opens for free viewing at venues around Taiwan. This year, the British Council's 'More Films For Freedom', in partnership with BFI Flare and BFI NETWORK, joins the film festival. It builds on the success of Five Films For Freedom, British Council's annual online LGBTIQ+ film programme. An initial three short films, made by UK teams in collaboration with Palestinian, South African and Syrian filmmakers, have now been joined by a further three, from Nigeria, South Africa and Libya. Together they showcase distinctive filmmaking voices and explore diverse themes including sexuality and conflict, inter-generational gay culture, migration and family ties. Please note that some of the films contain material that might be considered sensitive.
More Films For Freedom 2022
UK with Libyan collaboration,16 mins, 2021.
Directors: Sam Arbor, Adam Ali
Living in the tunnels beneath Tripoli a queer Libyan teenager, Britannia, dreams of escape to a better life, but an unexpected discovery forces him to question whether to stay or flee from his homeland and his friends.
Prayers For Sweet Waters
UK with South African collaboration, 16 mins, 2021.
Director: Elijah Ndoumbe
A submergence into the vivid realities of three Transgender sex workers living in Cape Town, South Africa during the COVID-19 pandemic.
UK with Nigerian collaboration, 16 mins, 2021.
Director: Olive Nwosu
A woman returns to her hometown of Lagos in search of healing. What she discovers instead is a path that takes her into her past and toward a new understanding of the people and experiences that shaped her.
- Taipei: National Taiwan University/European Union Centre in Taiwan (EUTW): No. 1, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Rd., Taipei
21 December, 2022 (Wednesday) 18:30 College of Social Sciences RM 102
- Taipei - National Chengchi University: No.64, Sec.2, ZhiNan Rd., Wenshan District,Taipei City
20 December, 2022 (Tuesday) 18:30 Room 270113, 270114 1F, General Building of Colleges
- Taipei - Soochow University Waishuangsi Campus: No.70, Linxi Road, Shilin District, Taipei City 111
13 December, 2022 (Tuesday) 18:30 Second Academic Building D0408, D0409, D0417
- New Taipei City - Water Drop Teahouse: No. 446, Zhongzheng Rd., Yonghe Dist., New Taipei City
9 January, 2023 (Monday) 14:00 2F Showroom
- Taoyuan - NCU 107 Cinema: No. 300, Zhongda Rd., Zhongli District, Taoyuan City 320317
15 December, 2022 (Thursday) 20:00 NCU 107 Cinema
- Hsinchu - Hsinchu Senior High School: No.36, Xuefu Rd., East Dist., Hsinchu City
27 December, 2022 (Tuesday) 16:10 3F Library
- Taichung - NCHU Library Multimedia Center: 145 Xingda Rd., South Dist., Taichung City 402
27 December, 2022 (Tuesday) 14:00 NCHU Library Multimedia Center
- Chiayi - Dalin Wan Guo Palais Theatre: No.21-7, Pinghe St., Dalin Township, Chiayi County
18 December, 2022 (Sunday) 10:00
- Tainan - FANG-YUAN Art Museum: No. 1, Xihua, Jiangjun Dist., Tainan City 725
5 January, 2023 (Thursday) 14:00 Courtyard
- Yilan - Yilan Story Museum: No.426, Sec. 2, Zhongshan Rd., Yilan City, Yilan County
2 December, 2022 (Friday) 16:00 Multimedia Room on the second floor
- Yilan - The Isle Bookstore: 2F, No. 335, Sec. 2, Dafu Rd., Zhuangwei Township, Yilan County 263
6 January, 2023 (Friday) 13:30 Iceberg Productions
- Hualian - Hualien Railway Cinema: No. 71, Zhongshan Rd., Hualien City, Hualien County 970008
14 January, 2023 (Saturday) 16:10 *Please reserve your tickets at this site, or call the service line at 0965-608-568 or 03-8356656
- Taitung - Dapochi Environmental Education Center Hall: No.1, Zhongyi St., Chishang Township, Taitung County
31 December, 2022 (Saturday) 19:00 Dapochi Environmental Education Center Hall
2022 Taiwan European Film Festival (TEFF)
TEFF (Taiwan European Film Festival) is organized by European Economic and Trade Office since 2005. TEFF presents a selection of European films every year aiming to show the diversity of cultures, arts and languages of the European countries. The 18th TEFF will take place from 17 November 2022 to 31 January 2023 at the venues all around Taiwan, with free entrance, Chinese and English subtitles available.