The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.
We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries.
We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society.
Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications.
Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We have been in Taiwan since 1996. Every year, we reach out to thousands of students, educators, policymakers, academics, researchers, creatives and entrepreneurs in Taiwan.
Our services are as follows:
- We offer free, professional and impartial information about studying in the UK through education exhibitions and online enquiry services.
- We organise collaborative events and exchanges in education, arts, science and English language teaching.
- We work with the Ministry of Education and local education authorities to provide customised courses and workshops on English teaching.
- We offer free ‘LearnEnglish’ websites for various users with interactive online resources that help provide stimulating all-round English practice.
Through the British Council (Taiwan) Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Council we:
- Offer English language assessment service through the IELTS and other examinations in Taiwan
- Provide high-quality English language courses based on international learning benchmarks for children aged six and upwards and adults of all ages